Job Title: Intermediate Site Inspector
Location: Vaughan or Whitby
NOTE: Job descriptions are subject to change at any time and may be routinely updated. The job description is intended to provide a general understanding of the nature and scope of the position. The employee may be called upon to perform duties not specifically included below.
As a member of our Contract Administration team, you will lead the administration of infrastructure construction contracts on behalf of our clients. This position will provide the opportunity to join our innovative, supportive, and dynamic water / wastewater engineering group. You will be leading and/or managing a variety of municipal infrastructure projects such as new roads, road reconstruction, wastewater treatment plants but also water treatment plants, pumping stations projects and other facilities in the GTA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In this Contract Administrator/Site Inspector role, you will be responsible for inspecting and providing contract administration assistance to our Senior Site Inspector on the progress of municipal or private development projects at an intermediate to senior level Contract Administrator/Site Inspector.
- Report on and provide assistance to the resolution of construction issues with Senior Site Inspectors and Contract Administrators
- Preparation of various contract administration paperwork including agendas, minutes, daily logs, photographic records, request for information, testing reports, change orders, deficiency lists, and construction certificates
- Attend site meetings, take meeting notes and assist in the preparation of site meeting minute reports
- Track daily quantities and assist Contract Administrators with the preparation of the monthly payment certificate
- Site inspection on municipal construction projects for quality control and adherence with applicable provincial standards, engineering design and technical specifications
- Provide problem resolution/field solutions with respect to unforeseen construction issues
- Attend and participate in construction progress meetings
- Lead preparation of take offs and cost estimates
- Manage preparation of contract documents and specifications
- Ensure all junior staff are compliant with Occupational Health and Safety Act on construction sites with authority to issue stop work orders
- Liaise with Client for regulatory inspectors with respect to construction activities
- Implement and monitor inspection procedures in accordance with professional and corporate guidelines
- Be able to work extended hours as the project requires
- Mentor junior team members on the various facets of site inspection and contract administration.
- Complete all tasks accurately and efficiently with minimum supervision.
- All other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS (INCLUDING EDUCATION and/or JOB EXPERIENCE):
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent
- Registered or eligible for registration with OACETT as a C.E.T or C. Tech
- A minimum of 5-10 years of related experience in municipal/civil engineering construction, with direct experience with wastewater treatment plants
- Experience with contract administration and on-site inspection principles, practices, and techniques including:
- Familiarity with applicable local building/construction codes
- Knowledge of construction contract interpretation and construction acts
- Experience with monitoring and coordinating activities on a construction project including liaising with client, contractors, approvals officers, and public as required.
- Experience with project scheduling computer software in assessing construction progress compared to tendered schedule
- Knowledge of construction products, materials, and equipment
- Inspection and conformance of construction works with contract documents and engineering design.
- Positive attitude with good communication, interpersonal skills
- MTO Class ‘G’ driver’s license in good standing and access to a personnel vehicle
- Effective communicator possessing demonstrated skills in dealing with other staff, contractors, and the public, with matters arising from Construction projects
- Possess working knowledge of the Occupation Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, and Ontario Provincial Standards and Specifications (OPSS) for Municipal projects
- Demonstrated skills in the use of computer utilizing programs such as Microsoft Office
- Strong record keeping abilities
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability
- Ability to interpret Contract Documents and Engineering Drawings
- Knowledge of Canadian Contract Law including the Construction Lien Act
- First Aid Training, Confined Space Entry, Working at Heights, OTM Book 7 etc. would be beneficial; however, TMIG will provide training as required
- Survey knowledge using total station and GPS technology
- Strong MS office and AutoCAD Civil 3D skills
- Ability to work as part of a team of Site Inspectors, Contract Administrators and Engineers in an open and sharing environment
- Creative and innovative thinker with sound technical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues, associates, and clients.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and work in fast paced, highly charged environment.
The Municipal Infrastructure Group., a T.Y. Lin International Company is committed to employment equity and providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at email@example.com.